Thursday, June 3, 2010

ARE SMART METERS A GOOD THING

I having been dealing with Hydro One since November of 2009 with regards to some billing issues on my bill. I have emailed I have faxed and I have even sent the documentation by mail and still could not get anyone to look at the billing mistakes and correct them. I did have an account that was outstanding and the Hydro had been disconnected but after finally paying the bill in full I received a large credit from Hydro and wondered why did I receive the credit. Did I over pay and if I had why. Then I started seeing charges that did not make sense. Then I noticed that the building that is not using any hydro at this time jumped in usage. Every time I contacted Hydro to talk to some one the version would change and no one would resolve the issue. I did receive disconnection notices and threating collection calls to pay the bill but I stated I would not pay the bill in full until the mistakes were corrected. I was promised several time that someone would get back to me and no one ever did. I finally contacted the Ontario Energy Board and filed a complaint with them. Within 24 hours I received a call from Hydro that was a lot nicer than usual and was told they would look into it. But again I still have not heard anything. I am now learning that there are many people with the same problem and there is a great blog on it called h1ripoff.blogspot.com that is taking on this issue. And good for Richard for doing this and all the radio talk shows that are bringing this out to the public. There is something wrong with these new meters and we need to force Hydro to fix this problem not threaten us with disconnection notices. Check out the blog if you to are having problems or question whether you are actually using that much hydro and watch your bills.

2 comments:

dk said...

we had a nasty jump on our bills as well. and 2/3 of the family was gone for that time. Therefore, I know it wasn't an usage issue. I believe it must be these new meters.

SHERRIE MCTAGGART said...

It could also be a billing problem but probably the meters. Thanks for reading and commenting
Sherrie