Saturday, July 3, 2010

LISTOWEL LCBO OPENING SUNDAYS

It appears that the new manager at the LCBO is bringing Listowel into the present day. The LCBO will now be open on sundays from 12 to 4. In the past the Municipality did not want the store open on sundays because of the 17 churches in town. And out of courtesy the LCBO complied. So all the people in the area had to drive to neighbouring towns on sunday to restock. It is a bold and wonderful move and will get many of the tourists who drive through town on sunday to stop. Long overdue but finally a step in the right direction.

4 comments:

alan m. said...

I'm of two minds. My wife is seriously religious and I'm not. Here in Elmira we helped the racetrack leave town (for Elora) when they wanted to add slot machines, yet we support both a Brewers Retail and a LCBO. Sometimes what is good for tourists and business is less good for others.

Anonymous said...

Very well put alan. I am too of those two conflicting minds. Some days I wished they would just get along. I was a dedicated LCBO employee for many years and I am glad to see the move to opening hours of operation but also believe that minors should not be served. We are all our own control boards but the limits should be set. It really is a big step for our community.Sherrie

dk said...

While I like that we can do things on Sundays now, the other half of me, that has worked retail, knows that there will people forced to work on Sundays or face loosing their jobs.
It was nice when everything was closed on Sunday, not so much for me, as a religious matter, but for the fact that families could have one day home together with their loved ones.
I think we loose part of ourselves with the 24/7 mentality of some shop owners..
After all, he who dies with the most money ... still dies! Those that have loving memories with others, live on in those hearts.
just my thoughts

SHERRIE MCTAGGART said...

Excellent way of putting it. I to when I ran my store would not be open on Sunday and not for religious reasons. Sunday is family day,family dinner and a day of relaxation....something so badly missing for our kids.