Sunday, April 8, 2012

IT' S THE NORTH PERTH WAY

EXCERPTS FROM THE STRATFORD BEACON HERALD

WILLIAMS SHOCKED
Dave Williams was on his way to the Listowel Cyclone's year end team photo session when we spoke to him last Friday, two days after he was canned by the team. This after the Stratford native guided the Cycs to their lone Cherrey Cup title in 2004-o5 and to another appearance in the Midwestern final in 2010-11.
"It came as a shock, getting the call from (president) Don Annett telling me my services were no longer required," Williams said. "The toughest thing for me was that no reason was given. If they're upset that we lost in the first round this year, or whatever the reason is, I'd like to know."
"I fully understand it's the nature of the business that coaches are hired and are likely to be fired. I accept that. But I feel that with what the team accomplished during my time there, I should have at least been given courtesy of knowing why."
Former Guelph coach Jeff Flanagan has been hired as the Cycs new coach.
Williams spent time recently in Texas, where his brother and former Culliton Denis is bench boss of the Amarillo Bulls of the North American Junior Hockey League. The team opened a divisional semifinal against the Odessa Jacalopes last night.
Williams, a guidance counselor at Listowel District High School, says he has no plans to follow his brother down south.
"I'm more than happy with my day job," he said. "Coaching is something that I love to do and hopefully another opportunity becomes available some day."

No comments: